UNICEF Club promotes children rights advocacy, raises over $3,000 fundraising

Maria Morkas

UNICEF members Elena Ribeiro and Valeria Ramirez showcase one of the “Trick or Treat for UNICEF” boxes from their Halloween fundraiser

Everyday, more than 16,000 children die from hunger, one child for every five seconds, according to the Food Aid Foundation. For the UNICEF Club at Village, each day is a new chance to lower that number.

Twice a month on Thursday afternoons, you can find some of the Village School’s seventeen UNICEF club members assembled in a high school classroom discussing goals and planning fundraising events. Their goal: advocate for the protection of children’s basic rights and provide financial and voluntary aid to help achieve such objectives.

“UNICEF is a club aimed at ensuring that children who need help the most are not only provided much-needed supplies and funding, but [are] given a voice and a platform,” sophomore Deeptha Karur, UNICEF Secretary, said. “It reminds us that while we are fortunate enough to attend a school where we are provided excellent education, some just aren’t as lucky- specifically over 57 million. This club’s purpose? Lower that number, even if just by one.”

The club was founded only this year by a group of four sophomore girls interested in joining the UNICEF cause. The club struggled for the first few weeks of its creation, fighting low attendance, technological issues at its first meeting, and overambitious expectations.

“When I first joined UNICEF, it seemed to me that they were trying to undertake a project that was too big and would ultimately fail,” said Emily Hutsell, a sophomore and UNICEF member. “In addition, the meetings were slightly disorganized, but now, only a few months later, the club has seen tremendous improvement. I’m glad that I chose to join UNICEF; I’m excited to continue making a difference in children’s lives everywhere.”

Hutsell points to many successes the UNICEF Village chapter celebrated this semester, such as raising over $3000 in it’s ‘Trick or Treat for UNICEF’ fundraiser that focused primarily in the Elementary and Early Childhood (FINNA) divisions. The initiative was led by UNICEF Village and was held in collaboration with Village’s sister school, The British International School of Houston. The fundraiser asked students to bring along coin boxes when collecting candy on Halloween night and get loose change along with the sweet treats.

“Through our trick or treat fundraiser, the UNICEF club raised over $2,500 in just the elementary school and FINNA,” Maria Morkas, a sophomore and President of UNICEF Village, said. “Having younger children advocate for the lives of others all around the world makes a lasting change because it teaches them, and us, that the whole is greater than its parts. To be a part of such an initiative is truly an opportunity and blessing.”

Over 200 Village School students participated in the unique fundraiser, together fulfilling over 300% of the initial goal of $1000.

While UNICEF has enjoyed many triumphs this semester, the club is looking forward to continue raising money for the cause and grow as a team.

“Our club looks forward to helping schools and children both locally and internationally this semester and next school year,” Morkas said. “We’ve made our mark, but we’re not done yet.”