How The Village School Is Handling the Pandemic

Close-up photo of the coronavirus

Close-up photo of the coronavirus

Coronavirus. Nothing else needs to be said. This tiny, crown-shaped virus has killed 1.2 million people as of Saturday, October 28, 2020. Amidst a pandemic rampaging the globe, schooling has found a way. However, after a VHS student tested positive for COVID, numerous in-person students switched back to virtual learning. In my opinion, our school has done a great job with keeping us safe, despite the recent news that someone tested positive with the virus last week. 

With the news going around about students catching COVID-19, it is important for everyone to comply with social distancing and mask rules more than ever. Holding a care-free mindset in this time and impulsive indulgence can endanger the health of surrounding students, especially athletes.

Other than threats to health and campus life, COVID has significantly affected student-teacher relationships and classroom connection. Along with self-isolation comes diminished community spirit. However, online platforms tried to fill these gaps as much as possible. 

COVID-19 has made it difficult for staff and students to connect with one another. While there are faster ways of communicating, such as email, there are social interactions that are missed,” said Natalie Goodwin, a teacher at The Village High School. “It shows that the COVID-19 has exponentially brought down students and staff to a harder point in learning and teaching, but there are ways on how to get through this via email and zoom. They have both played a great role in helping students and staff at the school and at home.”

For students, when it comes face to face interactions, they must not be in physical contact. Students have heard of social distancing measures often recently, but emphasizing it is imperative. It has been scientifically proven that if students do not follow given school guidelines.  Students have been seen running towards their friends with physical contact. 

Campus learning provides a much more collaborative and engaging learning environment by providing hands-on experiences,” says Maria Correa Rodriguez, a College Counselor at The Village High School.  “In the case of The Village it provides the opportunity for international students from around the world to converge on campus and experience different cultures and new opportunities to learn from each other. Social interaction is extremely critical to develop a positive learning environment and an exchange of ideas.”

For students who play sports, they must be aware of what they are doing and who they are touching. During this time, sports look completely different, so students have had to adapt with it. Many schools around the Houston area recently have closed due to COVID cases within them. This led to them canceling their sports events  and keeping all students quarantined. Hopefully, these actions from other schools can be used as motivation for students to follow the school’s COVID guidelines.

“During the day I was quarantined, I was very bored,” said sophomore Pumipat Chetpaophan, a residential life student. “There is practically nothing you can do during that time period. ”

Sometimes, despite putting all of our efforts into it, failure follows. It is alright though, because there is always a second chance. A student catching the virus is no joke or matter to be taken lightly. However, The Village School will keep looking back at how they have been managing the pandemic and find every smallest way to improve.