The Viking Elite Spirit Team’s ADT Performance: Moments of Fear, Exhilaration, and Independence

The Viking Elite Spirit team posing for a photo after their award ceremony at ADT.

Candace Tryon

On Saturday, February 27, 2021, The Viking Elite Spirit Team competed at the American Dance/Drill Team(ADT) contest. This took place at the hotel Moody Gardens in Galveston and the girls performed four different types of dance routines:  Pom, Jazz, Contemporary, Hip-Hop, Trio, and Solo. This was the first time the team ever performed a Hip-Hop routine at a competition. 

Unexpectedly, Tabitha Haskins, the coach of The Village High School Spirit Team, had to be quarantined for two weeks and could not be present with the team. Thankfully, Candace Tryon, a coach at The Village High School was able to fill in for her.  

Even though this was the first time the girls had to compete without their coach being present, coach Tyron did not fail to support and motivate them. 

“Coach would message us every once in a while, especially a few minutes before our next performance, reminding us about the main corrections we should be aware of when performing and to give it all we have,” said sophomore Cate Theron, the VHS Spirit team co-captain. 

Even without coach Haskins being there in person, coach Candace was still able to communicate with the girls and be a part of their experience. Despite the absence of their coach, the girls won second place overall,  the highest they have ever placed in a competition. They won other awards for their pom, jazz, contemporary, trio, and solo routines, as well as for their academics GPAs. 

“I’m very proud of our team,” said sophomore Iona Macauly, a member of the Spirit team.  “We gave our best and took care of one another, as well as motivated each other to keep it up and to make our coach proud.” 

This experience for the team did not go to waste. The commendations received by the team at ADT gave them a rush and high unlike any other before. ADT was an experience of swelling pride for the VHS Spirit team. 

“After winning second place, our team got a boost of confidence because we realized what we are all capable of, and will be more prepared if another situation like this happens,” said Salome Bovin, the captain of the Spirit team. “Our team also got much closer since we all worked together and kept each other motivated in order to do our best.”

The Viking Elite Spirit Team had a record-breaking performance and represented The Village School incredibly. These girls have gotten stronger from this experience and will hopefully only grow further from it.