Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

Is Adam Sandler’s New Movie a Flop?

Streaming+%E2%80%9CYou+Are+So+Not+Invited+To+My+Bat+Mitzvah%E2%80%9D+on+Netflix+
Streaming “You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah” on Netflix

On August 25, 2023, Netflix premiered a new movie, “You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah,” starring Adam Sandler, his 2 daughters (Sunny and Sadie Sandler), and his wife Jackie Sandler. Adam Sandler plays the father, Danny Friedman, with Idina Menzel playing his wife, Bree Friedman. This movie is a coming-of-age story about a Jewish girl Stacy Friedman, played by Sunny Sandler, and her plan to have her dream Bat Mitzvah. In the Jewish religion, a Bat Mitzvah is a religious ceremony for boys and girls who have reached the ages of 12 or 13. This ceremony symbolizes maturity and becoming an adult in the eyes of the Jewish religion. In modern culture, some people from the Jewish religion throw a party to celebrate this big day. Stacy and her best friend, Lydia have been planning for the day of their Bat Mitzvah their whole lives. Stacy especially imagined it to be the most important day of her life and she was very determined to make that happen. Stacy is characterized as young and naive, but later in the movie, she shows character growth. In the beginning, it’s clear that Stacy just wants to fit in, and be like the “popular kids’ “. She has a huge crush on a boy named Andy and all she wants is for him to notice her.  

Just by watching the first 20 minutes of the movie, you can tell that this is no different from most Netflix originals. This isn’t a typical Adam Sandler rom-com movie where everything is funny and lighthearted. It’s clear that the story writers of the movie wanted it to be a little more meaningful but almost failed to grasp that idea completely because of the mediocre acting and the course of the plot. The directors try entirely too hard to make the movie “relatable” by incorporating slang and terms they think their audience uses and understands. The audience is most likely people between the ages of 12-18 based on the fact that this entire film is about a teenage girl. The acting and slang used within the movie are almost a turn-off because it all seems too forced. The basic setup of the movie is a little disappointing because it’s not something most would expect from an Adam Sandler movie. If you’re looking for a warmhearted, fun, and simple movie to watch, “You Are So Not Invited To My Bat Mitzvah” is for you. This movie is a solid 6/10.