Cricket: An International Sport Finally Arrives to The Village School

The Village School Cricket Club practicing the sport during a Friday club meeting

With dozens of clubs and teams, The Village School boasts multiple opportunities for students to not only participate in activities of interest but also to discover hidden talents.

One such club, initiated at the beginning of the Spring 2020 semester, is the Cricket Club. Led by juniors Mukhil Ramesh and Manas Singh, the club has already seen a surge of interest, with 13 people signed up but over 20-25 students in attendance during meetings.  

“Cricket is something I grew up with, which I am very passionate about,” said Ramesh. “I started the club because I wanted to share my passion for Cricket with my friends and students at this school. Cricket is not very well known in the United States, and there are not many opportunities to play.”

Ramesh isn’t the only student who seeks to stay connected to his culture through this sport. Club member junior Maria Morkas also expressed similar sentiments.

“My parents grew up playing cricket back in India,” said Morkas. “ I thought it would be a great experience if I could tap into their cultural roots  and understand their background a little bit better.”

The club meets every Friday during the allotted club time, where members typically play matches among themselves. But, Ramesh envisions bigger plans for the team, including possible matches with The Village School’s sister school, The British International School. 

“I [also] intend on expanding the club to include more members and plan on having frequent matches after school and on Saturdays,” said Ramesh. “We are currently planning to host an informal cricket tournament after school on Diversity Day, and I am very excited about this as it would allow us to expand our reach and play a full game with the time available.”