Opinion: The #MeToo movement often puts too much faith in the victim

Toney Kanaan, Staff Writer

The presumption of innocence, an idea that was influential in the founding of the United States, has not been upheld recently. It is appalling to me that an idea unique to a fair society, which is listed under the United Nations’ classification of a human right, is being treated this way. The #MeToo movement allows accusations of sexual assault to come to fruition far too fast. I believe in justice for anyone who’s been wronged, but I also believe it is important to stay true to our nations’ foundations.

The recent uproar in the Brett Kavanaugh ‘trial’ or case, especially, has been surprising to me. I’ve seen the Tweets, the Instagram posts and the outcry of people in the opposition of the Senate’s conclusion. The general means for anger stems from the idea that Brett Kavanaugh should not be labelled an innocent man. The case became a vehicle to make the blanket statement of “our country is going under” or “what is happening to our country?”. If one wanted to make that statement alone, fair, but the problem is making that statement in relation to the Blasey Ford v. Kavanaugh situation.

Imagine for a second that someone you’ve barely met can accuse you of rape, it is your responsibility, the one being accused, to convince a jury. Stressful, right? Your life is in shambles unless you can spend thousands of dollars on a near perfect lawyer that will help you walk free.

In the case of the Kavanaugh situation, let’s look at the facts. After a series of interviews by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, it was concluded that there was little to no evidence of wrongdoing on Brett Kavanaugh’s morality. Should it have gone to civil court, it would likely have the same outcome. There was inadequate evidence to support the allegations made by Dr. Ford.

“It’s common for jurors to believe that a defendant committed the crime charged, yet still vote ‘not guilty’” according to Youngjae Lee on the results of the hearing. Lee is a criminal law professor at Fordham University School of Law.

“They often aren’t certain it’s been proven to the satisfaction of the legal system,” . Lee believes that when human bias comes into play, it is important to put it aside when making a final decision with such severe repercussions.

The principle that helps define us as a free society, the presumption of innocence, helps to protect those who are wrongly accused of a crime. It allows citizens to live with peace of mind. When we accuse people like Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault without proper evidence, we attack the person, their families and their legacy.