Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

Heartbeet: A Plant-based Eden

Citrus-Marinated “Ceviche”. Photo taken by Ivanna Silva Pérez.

Finding a trust-worthy, enjoyable, plant-based restaurant you can take your non-vegetarian friends to is hard. Plant-based individuals are used to conforming to the mushy mediocrity served at most restaurants under the name “vegan friendly.” Heartbeet, located at 14714 Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77079, heard these grievances and decided to purposefully craft truly flavorful meat-free meals for everyone. The restaurant’s elegantly colorful decor, diverse menu and affordable prices make it the perfect spot to meet up with friends and enjoy brunch.

Beetroot’s versatility has been a staple in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine for hundreds of years. Commemorating this fact, Heartbeet presents a range of mostly Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes full of innovative twists. Amongst your party, you can share a citrus-marinated “ceviche” which consists of coconut, hearts of palm, daikon radish and so much more! If sharing is not your thing, you can individually order a cauliflower “steak” topped with herb chimichurri and coconut basmati rice. Brunch and drinks are also available to enjoy, such as tofu migas, avocado toasts, breakfast burritos, fresh pressed juices and an assortment of various alcoholic beverages (if you’re of age) to satiate your interests! The options are vast and hard to resist.

With its proximity to The Village School and affordable prices ($6-18 per dish), it would be a shame to miss Heartbeet. If you do plan to make a visit to this restaurant, its hours range from 11:00 A.M to 9:00 P.M on Sundays-Wednesdays; 11:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M Thursdays-Fridays; and 10:00 A.M to 10:00 P.M on Saturdays. 

Additionally, Heartbeet’s older sibling, Hungry’s, is located right next door at 14714 Memorial Dr. Houston, TX 77079. As opposed to his successor, Hungry’s is more concerned with bringing an array of dishes and beers from all corners of the world to its customers. Heartbeet’s clientele is also offered the Hungry’s menu, in case someone in your party digs their meat-inclusive menu. So what are you waiting for? Don’t stay curious, go support this 10/10, family-owned, vegetarian-friendly restaurant which outsources all its ingredients locally and supports its community. As their website states: “Eat more plants. Feel unbeetable.”