Weight Room’s Impact On Different Athletic Teams

Picture of the VAC gym where Weight Room takes place, from The Village School’s Twitter account. (Scott Kellar)

All athletes at The Village School have the Weight Room class included on their schedule at some point of the year. The purpose of Weight Room is for athletes to become stronger and build up endurance. This enables them to perform to the best of their abilities at games and help grow a strong team overall. However, different sports teams benefit from Weight Room in different ways.

“Weight Room isn’t that bad once you get used to it,” said freshmen Kaya Stanley, a dancer on The Village High School Dance team.  “It builds up strength and endurance. I used to hate it, but now I can tolerate it because it has made me stronger. It’s nice that it is also not every day.” 

Weight room significantly rectifies posture and builds core strength. Many athletes feel the impact of it on their performances and stamina at games.  

“I could keep my core tighter than I used to once I did Weight Room,” said Stanley. “After a while, my stamina was much higher.”

While stamina and strength are integral in some sports, Weight Room additionally refines agility and sharpness. Especially for sports such as volleyball, it provides background training that regular practices do not go into deeply. For many sports, Weight Room is about building your basics in order to succeed on many high levels and complex platforms. 

“I enjoy Weight Room because for volleyball especially, there is a lot of training that helps with my vertical and agility,” said freshmen Amabel Ajakaye, a member of The Village High School Volleyball team.  “I think it definitely did change the way I perform as I have seen a lot of improvement with my strength and agility.”

Students enjoy the skills they have the opportunity to hone at Weight Room, however, some even enjoy it more due to the coaching they receive in it. Coach Scott Kellar is said to be a phenomenal Weight Room coach and well-liked by students. 

“I have been working with Coach Kellar for a few years now and it’s great,” said freshmen Raphael Berbain, a player on The Village High School Football team. “Because of him, my personal experiences in Weight Room have been all good. Weight room is a great way to prepare for any physical activity because it makes you stronger. At games, I was able to start strong and finish strong.”

Different types of athletes benefit from Weight Room in various ways. The most common thread is that Weight Room makes students stronger and prepared, physically and mentally. Weight Room is integral for athletes no matter what sport they play. Only when one pushes past their limits and builds their basics, can they experience a true performance change and grow into a fine athlete.