The Village Vikings Crush the St.Johns Lions

[Left to right] Meghna Prabhakaran (9) and Melania Shen (9) playing girls line one doubles

On Monday, March 2, 2020, The Village Schools Tennis team competed against Katy St. Johns on Viking grounds. The matches were intense, but the Village Tennis team was able to pull out a win. With the team playing astoundingly, freshman Anahita Gozalpour beat the girls line one singles of Katy St. Johns 6-0, 6-0, along with the singles victories from junior Zarek Merchant for boys line one singles (6-0,6-1) junior Ivan Gaponenko for boys line two singles, and sophomore Gauri Khade for girls line two singles (6-4, 6-3). 

All of the doubles teams for Village also won all of their lines: sophomore Tommy Wan and freshman Miran Ahmed for boys line one doubles (6-1, 6-0),  freshman Shrey Sahni and junior Shah Badar for boys line two doubles(6-0, 6-1), sophomore Zoe Nguyen and freshman Olukemi Dada for girls line one doubles (6-2, 6-2), and closing with an intense match and comeback freshmen Melania Shen and Meghna Prabhakaran for girls line two doubles(3-6, 6-3, 10-3).

“Overall the team is doing pretty well,“ said freshman Anahita Gozalpour, line one singles for girls, “We are all corresponding to each other really well and the support on this team is amazing.” 

With the team being really supportive of one another the Village Tennis team defies the common view that tennis is an individual sport. 

“The people on this team are great, [and] I love the connections I have made with everyone,” said Gozalpour when asked about the team this year. 

Always cheering for one another, the team of 2019-2020 seems to be off to a promising season. Winning all of the matches played against Katy St. Johns lions, the tennis team is preparing for their district tournament coming at the end of March. Good job Vikings!