Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Harmful Impact of Sports Betting Advertisements on Society

Prizepicks app downloading with adjacent money spread – Taken by Jayden Goel

Sportsbooks have taken the sports world by storm through major advertisements and endorsements. A sportsbook is a place where gamblers can wager on different sports competitions. This begs the question: is sports betting being advertised to the wrong crowd? According to PlayToday.co,” the sports betting industry has generated $20 Billion in revenue in 2023 and US sports gamblers expect to spend over $130 billion on betting services, or ‘handles,’ by 2023.” If you ever decide to watch an NFL or NBA game, expect to see around 6 sports betting advertisements. With the recent legalization of sports betting in 74% of The United  States, sportsbooks have been pushing their platforms through advertisements with big personalities such as Charles Barkley, Jamie Foxx and many others.

The exploitation of sports betting advertisements should be of top concern, as they can be harmful to individuals prone to gambling addiction. With all these ads being shown during NBA, NFL, NHL, etc. games, children are also being exposed to gambling. Overall, actions should be taken to reduce the amount of sports betting advertisements shown. 

According to CBC, “a collaboration between CBC’s Marketplace and British researchers at the University of Bristol found gambling messages fill up to 21% of each broadcast.” These researchers were asked to count the amount of gambling messages shown throughout the game and pre-game show. The average hockey and basketball game runs for three hours with the available pre-game show usually running for about half an hour. The researchers counted a total of 3,537 gambling messages  across all seven broadcasts reviewed with an average of 2.8 per minute. This would add up to being one-fifth of the total game time. With upgraded technology, sportsbook logos can be displayed on the court. With this added to the regular commercials of sports betting, advertisements are everywhere.

One of the primary reasons why sports betting advertisements should be limited is that they can be harmful to individuals prone to gambling addictions. These advertisements can be incredibly triggering for those who struggle with gambling addiction and can lead to relapse or other negative outcomes. By limiting the number of sports gambling advertisements that are shown during sporting events, we can reduce the risk of harm to those who are most vulnerable. 

Another reason why sports gambling advertisements should be limited is that they can be harmful to children. Children are exposed to these advertisements at a very early age, and they can be incredibly influential in shaping their attitudes towards gambling. According to The Guardian, research has shown that minors who are exposed to gambling advertisements are more likely to develop problems later in life. Not only is television advertising a huge problem, but so are the sponsorships internet personalities are given. “I have felt the need to gamble due to sports betting advertisements multiple times,” said an anonymous student.“ “Particularly on services like YouTube.” This problem is most common on YouTube where most sports creators are advertised by some sort of sportsbook or equivalent. This is where most of the problem comes from, as you can’t even watch a video without being bombarded with sports gambling promotions. By finding a way to limit the exposure of gambling advertisements that are shown, the upcoming generation can be protected from the harmful effects of gambling. 

The big question is: How should we limit sports advertisements? “To my understanding, you can’t limit the exposure of advertisements as the companies pay for them,” said an anonymous student. “What we can do as people is withdraw ourselves from the advertisements.” Sadly, there isn’t much of a way to entirely remove the advertisement of sports gambling but there are ways to prohibit your exposure to them. One way to do this is by leaving during commercial breaks. Instead of staying for commercials, grab a snack or just mute the advertisement until it’s over. This way you won’t be affected by these sorts of advertisements. Another way to limit the amount of sports advertisements you see is by recording the game and watching it later. This way you can skip the ad and get right back into the game. 

In conclusion, the prevalence of sports betting advertisements during sporting events raises serious concerns about their impact. The updated forms of advertisements and the surge in the popularity of sports betting have prompted a critical understanding of the possible harm associated with these ads, particularly for individuals vulnerable to gambling addiction. Children exposed to these advertisements at an early age also face risks of developing problematic attitudes towards gambling, with research indicating long-term consequences. Strategies to limit exposure, such as muting ads during commercial breaks or recording and watching games later, offer practical solutions. Overall, the call for limitations on sports betting advertisements is about the need to protect vulnerable populations and create a healthier relationship between sports and gambling.