Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

Elective Odyssey: What electives are the Vikings choosing?

Students in their chosen elective: Journalism. Picture taken by Marlen Gomez

At The Village School, students embark on a transformative journey of self-discovery, delving into various electives that allow them to explore passions and hone essential skills. As students navigate through the amazing amount of options available, the unique allure of several captivating courses comes to light. Within this vibrant diverse community, our paths might intersect, creating a dynamic learning environment where shared experiences enhance the elective journey. 

Through conversations with students, we know more of the motivations that incentivize their elective choices. Whether it’s a budding interest in the arts, a passion for scientific inquiry or a desire to delve into the world of technology, the elective offerings cater to a wide spectrum of interests. These choices reflect not only academic preferences but also personal aspirations and future career goals. “As president of The Feminism Club here at The Village School and a full IB student, I feel like choosing Philosophy as my elective was the best choice, both my extracurricular activities and my schedule aligns with discussing Philosophy in every aspect,” said junior Miaohan Zhang, “Mr. Morgan truly cares about the understanding of each topics and engages in deep discussions where we all find a way through understanding philosophical perspectives that at least to me have been useful in my club.”

The electives might catalyze a journey of self-discovery. Students not only gain knowledge in their chosen fields but also develop essential life skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and effective communication. “This elective made me fall in love with philosophy and social studies. It’s amazing that Village offers these kinds of opportunities to learn a little bit of everything and slowly discover or confirm what your passions are,” said Zhang. The diverse range of electives encourages students to step out of their comfort zones, fostering personal growth and resilience. “I did not always know what I wanted to do but I wanted something related to animals, taking electives has pointed me in the direction where I am sure of what my passion is,” said senior Mell Bastos, “I’m also really grateful that I didn’t do IB because I wouldn’t have made sure that this is what I’m meant to be doing.” 

Electives play a pivotal role in shaping students into well-rounded individuals. The diverse range of courses coupled with the unique motivations of each student creates a dynamic and enriching educational experience. Through exploring passions and skills, students not only navigate their academic pursuits but also embark on a journey of self-discovery that prepares them for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. “Economics for me wasn’t something that I was always sure of doing, I thought it was about making money. But what made me fall in love with it was how it goes deeper and converges with politics and I just find it so useful to have all that knowledge,” said junior Che Jasmine Zulaik, “I’m not thinking about majoring in a social science major but I believe that knowing a little bit of everything is where true knowledge comes from.” 

As a community, the members all have different passions and ideas, some are not sure of what they’ll do after high school while some others already know. Electives serve as a means to an end for all Village Vikings, helping capture their passions  and put them out there in the world. As they explore the motivations and captivating allure of these elective courses, it becomes evident that students are not only consumers of knowledge but creators of their educational narrative. These chosen paths become avenues for personal growth, resilience and the honing of skills that extend far beyond the confines of the classroom.

The shaping power of electives is profound; it molds individuals into critical thinkers, problem solvers, and collaborators. This school through its commitment to diverse and enriching elective offerings, is cultivating not just academically adept graduates but well-rounded individuals poised to make meaningful contributions to the world. With each elective choice, students are not just gaining knowledge; they are crafting their identities and preparing themselves for the myriad challenges and opportunities that lie ahead.