A Thumbs Up for Uniforms

At The Village School, the uniform and dress code policy is implemented and strictly enforced, similar to most, if not all private schools. The few exceptions to this being “Spirit Week,” before the much-anticipated Homecoming game, and days celebrating cultures, such as Lunar New Year, and other events like Halloween. The excitement of dressing up on these days is quite obvious and often contagious, causing many to wish for “free dress” every day.  

In 2015-2016, only 21% of public schools reported that they required their students to wear uniforms, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. If most public schools don’t require uniform, why should we wear uniforms?

Research and observation shows that wearing a uniform to school has more benefits than not because it….

1)   Allows for heightened focus– With a uniform policy, students are able to turn their attention away from distractions, such as spending time on what to wear, and rather are able to focus all their attention to learning. Teachers are also able to focus on academics rather than dress code violations or other such distractions, including short and exposing clothing.

2)   Ensures safety– Students who don’t wear uniforms to school are often targeted by what they wear; for example,  a 15-year old boy in Detroit was shot for his $86 basketball shoes. As a result, potential thefts and violence are avoided with a uniform policy. Also, intruders and potential guns and weapons are more easily spotted in a school that requires uniform.

3)   Creates unity – A uniform makes it less likely for students to form cliques and eliminates peer pressure on how to dress. When everyone is dressed the same, there is no competition to dress better than one another, and as a result, bullying (over clothing) is eliminated. In diverse settings, it also helps create unity among students despite their individual views.

4)   Raises expectations– A uniform improves self-esteem and discipline for students. They teach students to dress according to guidelines, mirroring the workplace which also enforces strict dress code regulations.

5)   Creates identity for the school– A school uniform serves as a symbol of the school’s history and allows students to create an identity and image for the school. It also strengthens a sense of belonging and school pride for the students.

Although there may be valid arguments on the opposing side, a uniform ensures a greater satisfaction and safety for students in a school setting.

“30 years from now, it won’t matter what shoes you wore, how your hair looked, or the jeans you bought. What will matter is what you learned and how you used it.

— Anonymous