Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

Inches Away from Equity

Photo of a ruler against Kristina Roux’s skirt. Photo taken by Ivanna Silva Pérez

Should one expect a yardstick to be used in a classroom to measure results of a scientific experiment, or to measure the length of girls’ skirts? In a school that prides itself with academic excellence, The Village School has, one could say, a progressive curriculum. With the celebration of cultures from around the world and promotion of diversity of thought, many students found it surprising to receive notice of a “skirt-only” focused dress code over spring break. Specifically, administrators sent two emails entitled “New Uniform Policy – Skirts” with a list of requirements and penalties for non-compliance. 

Many found the announcement unexpected.  The previous policy, which explicitly stated that shorts and skirts needed to be mid-thigh, was now being repealed and replaced by a very specific skirt-only rule that requires uniform skirts to be two inches above the knee. While most of The Village School community agrees that it is important to ensure decorum and uniformity in the dress code, many in the community found the implementation and  rollout of the new “skirt-only” focused dress code to be inequitable in approach.

Following the return to school from break on March 21st, 2024, every female student from 9th grade to 11th grade was called into the gymnasium during the daily CAPD period. Three female members of Administration met and spoke with the students along with other female teachers. The female students were met with a rebuke on several different items including the length of skirts worn by high school girls, the length of girls’ athletic shorts in the Weight Room, and prospective families’ impression of The Village School during tours, focusing on skirt length.  Given the unexpected session in the gym, many questions were asked including  “Why are the boys not here?” and “What about boy’s shorts?” Instead of addressing the inequity, the response was simply that the meeting was only about skirts and the male population at the school will be dealt with individually when necessary. 

“This issue is mainly rooted in the deep disrespect towards young girls and the sexualization of us, rather than how we dress,” said junior and assembly participant, Abigail Evans. “I understand what the dress code issue was, but at the end of the day, the fact that only female students were at this assembly just shows how oblivious we can be and how young females are sexualized in all aspects of life,” said Evans. “We as girls aren’t dressing to ‘impress,’ we dress in the way we feel comfortable and confident in.” 

There’s an additional layer of humiliation that comes when a teacher stops a female student in front of her peers to discuss leg exposure. Students have been met with yardsticks at their legs and felt harassed for an issue that should truly be addressed privately. Attention has now been drawn to a female student’s body and how clothes fit her, rather than her academic performance and character. The rule itself is not the issue here, it is  the approach that has been taken so far, which has not provided an equitable,  positive, and inclusive learning environment.

On March 26th, all junior female students were called into the Black Box during their CAPD period and were met with members of administration along with staff members to address the approaches that had been taken that prior week. On March 28th, all sophomore female students were called in during the same time and were faced with the same meeting. In comparison to the original assembly held, this meeting was more of a conversation, rather than a “talk”. This time there was a different tone. Administration and staff offered apologies  on the implementation of the new dress code and staff members expressed their regret in regard to the potential embarrassment students faced, the punishments given, and the overall approaches taken. 

In the month since the revised dress code was implemented,  The Village School community is in a familiar, complacent place. Regarding the rule enforcement, things have calmed down — but why is this? The rule is still in place, and while female students were initially vocal about the revisions to the rule, students have been mostly apathetic with post-rule enforcement.  School Needs to be a secure environment that fosters confidence for every student, male or female. With all things considered, we still seem to be inches away from equity.