Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The New iPhone 15

Light blue 6.1” inch iPhone 15, photo taken by Jordan Caffey

Are you tired of Apple’s iPhones having the same features and unnecessary updates? Fortunately for you, on September 22nd, 2023, Apple announced the release of the most unique iPhone yet, the iPhone 15! Since June of 2007, a new iPhone has been released annually. After the first iPhone, Apple gradually changed and updated some of the phone’s digital makeup, such as improving camera quality, changing the home screen design and setup and creating beneficial tools. Apple also decided to make physical changes to the iPhone over the years, like adding touch ID after releasing the iPhone 6, removing the home button after the 8 and changing the back of the phone by increasing the size of its camera after releasing the iPhone X. The iPhone 15 comes in two sizes, 6.1” and 6.7” (iPhone 15 plus), with five different pastel colors: black, blue, yellow, green and pink. The phone is said to have an advanced dual-camera system with different settings and filters you can apply. 

There are many great new tools and updates added to the iPhone 15. However, Apple has received various complaints about the new phone – people accuse the glass part on the back of the phone of being easily damaged. People also complain of issues with setting up the new phone; Apple suggests using your old phone to set up the new one; they also mention the oil from your skin might temporarily alter the color on the outside band for the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max. Lastly, customers say that the phone also has overheating issues. 

Some benefits that come with the new iPhone are that there are lower-cost repairs on the iPhone 15, and it is even cheaper to repair than the iPhone 14. The repair is also said to be easier to fix. There is also an extended battery life and a feature implicated in the phone to improve it. Additionally, the phone comes with a USB-C charging port that all four 2023 iPhones have; however, only the Pro models support faster data transfers at 10Gbps. Moreover, there are new features of the iPhone 15 that the others do not have. For instance, the USB-C makes it easier to use a single charger for other Apple devices, the dynamic Island is now on all four models (last year, it was only on the Pro model) and perhaps the most interesting upgrade is reverse charging. Now, you can charge an Apple watch or a set of 2nd-gen AirPod Pros by plugging them into your iPhone. 

The new iPhone 15 is by far one of the most unique models Apple has produced due to the technology advancements and features. The new iPhone has countless beneficial upgrades that can be suitable for the right user. As someone with the iPhone 15, I would only recommend it to those who don’t mind having a different charger than other Apple users. Overall, I would rate the phone a 7/10 due to the only noticeable difference between this phone and others is the charging port, battery life and camera quality, which are mundane reasons to disregard this advancement of the iPhone. As Apple expands and the iPhone continues to enhance as a product, it will be interesting to see what they may have in store next.