Daily Rundown
The Student News Site of The Village School

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

The Viking Press

A Conversation About Phones

Students+phones+displayed+over+school+work%2C+photographed+by+Nina+Koshy.+
Students phones displayed over school work, photographed by Nina Koshy.

There is a constant debate raging on whether cell phones are a tool for good or evil. The pros and cons of cell phone use have advocates and opponents from every background. Everyone we turn to, our parents, grandparents, and teachers, has an opinion. While the debate may be ongoing with the adults in our lives, the 2023-2024 school year at The Village School is starting with a clear answer from the administration on where they stand on this controversial generational clash. 

On August 7th, 2023, students received an email about the start of the new school year, containing a blurb on the “New Cell Phone Policy.” It stated that for the duration of the year, students are required to keep their cell phones in their lockers for the entire school day- meaning no cell phones during school hours. The post also had links to other resources with research that supported the claim that cell phones are detrimental to teenage growth.

Since this policy has been put in place, the school year has had almost 8 full weeks of school, all without the use of cell phones during classes, lunch, or in the hallways. Naturally, with this restricting approach, the student body has mixed feelings. I understand both sides of this new policy. Of course, as a high schooler, I enjoyed having my phone to look through social media during my free time. However, learning more about the faculty’s perspectives made me realize how phones are harmful in a school setting. From students not interacting with each other to distractions in classes, students’ learning experiences are negatively impacted by the use of cellphones in school. 

Looking at one of the key individuals who helped put this rule in place, Mr. Newman, will help you, dear reader, understand a little more about this policy. 

At what point did you realize something needed to change in the school’s policy regarding phones?

“Part way through last year, I saw what was going on in the classroom and how distracted people were with phones but also, it had become clear over the last year how some of the emerging research had started to come out, so it was getting hard to ignore it,” said High School principal, Mr. Newman,

What do you think about students’ negative opinion of the rule?

“Because it’s like a lot of rules, whether it’s for teenagers or a lot of people, you’re always weighing out the pros and cons. Ultimately we’re deciding what’s the best thing overall here. The fact is that the growth of cell phones correlates very strongly with the growth in the mental health crisis. Sometimes the addict doesn’t want to hear the remedy,” said Mr. Newman.

What do you think are some strengths and weaknesses this rule holds?

“A strength is that we knew we would see increased focus in the class and less distraction so we were aiming for that as well. The hallways are interesting to me now, lots of people have commented on this about how people actually have their heads up, say good morning, say hello, and acknowledge people. Lunchtime seems to have more interaction as well. There are little things as phones are very convenient for things. You need to balance everything. I tried to go cell phone free as well, and I’ve been having very good success with it. I’ve got my messages on my laptop, my laptop also pings if I get a call that I need to take, that type of thing. If I need to scan something, it’s a bit awkward but I try on the computer. Now my class (Theory Of Knowledge) hasn’t necessarily suffered, they just work out different ways to do things,” said Mr Newman.

Although the administration put this rule in place, it is exerted only on students. Thus, it is vital to also hear from the student’s point of view. 

Why do you think the administration did this?

“I think they did this because there were a lot of students using their phones during class, not talking to each other and just constantly on their phones, so I understand why they did it,” said sophomore Maria Antunes 

Do you pay more attention in class?

“I don’t personally pay any more or less attention than I did before the phone rule, because I never really used my phone in class, so I would just have my phone when I was in the hallway listening to music or during lunch if I wanted to show a friend something funny so it hasn’t really made a difference for me” said Antunes,

“The phone rule can get students to focus more in classes, but it should not be taken away during our lunchtime. Some people aren’t social, and it is not for the school to decide how they spend their free time” said sophomore Samantha Ochoa Martinez. It seems as though the consensus regarding the student body’s perspective on this rule is that it is understandable but inconvenient and can be limiting.

Change can be hard, especially in a day-to-day setting, but it isn’t always all bad! Although phones were convenient and added some relief during long school hours, this rule is something that I hope will ultimately improve our High school experience.