Resul Ovezov and Thomas Chin

Juniors Resul Ovezov and Thomas Chin have created a campaign built around bettering communication with administration and reuniting the student body. Presidential candidate Ovezov has had numerous leadership roles such as his entrepreneurial cohort, the co-founder and president of the Village Volleyball club, and captain of the Village Cross-Country team. Ovezov also created a video game with a few other students that is now available in the Google Play store. With all of these experiences, Ovezov believes that he and his running mate Thomas Chin will make suitable presidential candidates for student vanguard.

In regards to increasing school spirit, Ovezov and Chin want to hold fine arts and cultural festivals. 

“We want to accomplish this (increasing school spirit) by holding more events,” said Ovezov. “One of our ideas is a Fine Arts festival where we can properly represent our fine arts community and create an event that uplifts school spirit in a way that has not been done before.” 

Ovezov recognizes a lack of fine arts recognition at The Village High School, and wants to work on it by spotlighting accomplishments. In addition, Ovezov wants to increase the number of cultural events within the school by encouraging cultural clubs to make their own events as well.

Ovezov and Chin also want to implement a mentoring program. 

“Our mentoring program basically matches students with similar interests in both academic and personal life with students from the upper and lower class,” said Ovezov. “This is so students can better relate to each other and the upperclassmen would provide as a guide for the lowerclassmen through any difficulties they might experience.” 

This program will ensure that a freshmen transitioning to high school or a sophomore concerned about course selections will have proper acclimation and advice for new high school challenges.

Ovezov and Chin’s plan for stronger communication between the student body entails more town halls and better advice exchange. 

“We also want to do a student government Shark Tank where we [Vanguard] invite students to propose a pitch about any event ideas that they have,” said Ovezov. “The student government will then deliberate if the student has a solid plan, and if it is a good idea, the government will unanimously agree, and allow the student to carry on the event-making process.” 

With extra steps in between such as having a teacher supervisor, Ovesov believes that this will allow students to have more input on what is happening within the school and support the business and entrepreneurship community. 

Because of COVID-19 rules within the school, Ovezov and Chin want to implement a 10-minute passing period to give students more time to get to their classes. 

“The one-way hallways in the VAC and Champion’s Hall prevent efficiency,” said Ovezov. “We believe that five minutes is not enough time to get to class.” 

Taking five-minutes out of students’ flex-time to implement 10-minute passing periods, gives students a reasonable amount of time to get to class punctually. 

“We need to working on reuniting and healing our community,” said Ovezov. “Our number one priority is to bring back the livelihood and spirit of the school.”

The Viking Press • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Viking Press Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *