Fall Sports Update

Looking into the future of Varsity Viking Football.

This year’s football team went 7-3, heading into the playoffs. Unfortunately not making it to the championship game. In fact, Varsity football head coach Kevon Bagot, and his boys have yet to win a Championship in TAPPS Division V.

Starting the season with new strengths, this year’s team featured a lot of new and younger faces, such as freshman Jack West as quarterback (QB) and freshman Marshall De Benedictis as outside linebacker (OLB). West joined the team, adding speed and contributing with a strong football knowledge while Marshall came in to his position ready to learn and execute all the defensive calls as if it was second nature.

With theses new additions and captains senior Austin Hill, senior Keagan Theron, junior Tyler Woods, and junior Garri Smith, the Vikings were expected to win the championship this year. However, throughout the season, a lot of injuries interfered with the success of the Vikings this season.

In order to move closer to a championship, improvements are already being made for the 2019 season. Bagot has been on the hunt for more coaches to improve the team’s potential. He believes that with their prowess, they can lead the team on the right track for success. Although these changes are being made, Bagot believes that the players’ destiny is in their control.

“The coaches can only coach so far,” Bagot said. “The athletes have to be coachable and must maintain a positive mindset.”

This year the team placed 5th after El Paso Cathedral forfeited due to injuries. Next year the team hopes to have a better season, hopefully with a championship under their belt.

Village Varsity Volleyball Youngest Squad!

This year, our Varsity girls volleyball team, under the leadership of Seniors Nicole Constantin and Kennedy Donovan, were en route to making it to the championship game. Although these two leaders played a huge role in the team’s success, this year we have one of the youngest teams in the history with three freshmen and 2 sophomores in starting positions.  

Coming from 8th grade volleyball up to the varsity level is a huge jump, and they exceeded everyone’s expectations,” Donovan said. “As a senior captain, it was such a privilege to lead a team with such young players that were willing to work and always aimed to get better.“

Another young player that helped the team was sophomore, Jada Malone, who plays as a middle hitter and is an all-around athlete. Malone already has multiple offers, such as from University of Houston, Texas Tech, and 12 more Division I offers.

With the legacy that the upperclassmen are leaving behind for the freshmen and sophomores, the future looks bright for the Village Varsity Volleyball team.

Cross Country’s Strength in Numbers.

This year the Viking Cross Country team has grown a tremendous amount from nine athletes to an all time high of sixteen women and eighteen men on the team.  This growth of the team added the needed strength, and the results showed.

At the last meet of the season, our Cross Country boys and girls dominated the TAPPS State Invitational with junior Doris Mikulek coming in 10th place in state on the women’s team. On the men’s team, junior Kaushal Patel came in 15th place, and junior Bram Satter came in 18th in state.

In addition to these huge accomplishment, many of the student-athletes broke their personal records, sophomore Elena Ribeiro, improved her personal record by 18.79%, from a 20:40 at her first meet to a 16:47 at her district meet.

“We were really worried about when last year’s seniors left, and if this year’s team could maintain the high level excellence,” said junior Akbarali Aziz Jr. “We were pleasantly surprised when many new runners showed up and eager to join the program.”