Are Students Too Young To Decide Their Futures?

Rich Mesch

Many students feel confused about the seemingly endless options they have for their futures.

On Tuesday, May 4, 2021, an advisory session for seniors to talk to sophomores about their high school experiences and career plans was held. These seniors explained what their plans are for their careers, which colleges they will be going to to pursue their passions with, and what steps they took to achieve their chosen path. I found the 30 minutes very interesting and learned a lot from it, but one thing troubled me – was it really best to tell us now? Are underclassmen old enough to make such big decisions as mere teenagers?  

It is always good to think about your future, and a potential career that you would enjoy, even at a young age, but you also should not have to put too much thought into it. The reason for that is because you are still young and have a lot to think about before you go and make truly life-changing decisions. I understand why many people would think often about their futures like this. “If you start young, you will be successful,” is the advice most students receive today, or, “If you put your mind to it, you can do it.” All these things are true, but it all comes down to how devoted, determined, and confident you are in your career path.

It is good to think and stay positive about what you think you can do, especially if you think you cannot do it because of your age. For instance, cultivating a talent that you can implement into your careers, such as math, creativity, leadership, or reading, could inspire you to a specific job and push you closer to your dreams. This is the major thing I learned from the zoom meeting with the seniors.

If you feel confident in your own ability to accomplish your goals at a young age, then go for it. If you know anyone who is having trouble figuring out their career, then help them out, whether it be by giving them advice, or reminding them that they have time. Let them know that you will be there for them, no matter their age.